Student life at Sorbonne University

Prepare your departure

You have decided to study at Sorbonne University: what's next?

To prepare for your departure, here are five important questions you must answer and we will help you answer them.

1/ What type of studies are right for you?

  • I want to come as part of an exchange program

Sorbonne University member institutions have established hundreds of exchange agreements with partner universities all over the world. Contact your institution’s Office of international affairs to see if your University has an exchange program with one of Sorbonne University member institution.


  • I want to come and study in France as an individual and obtain a French degree
  1. Decide either you are looking for an academic program taught in French or in English. If you choose to study in French, confirm the minimum fluency requirements. 
  2. Choose the degree program you wish to study from the courses offered by Sorbonne University. Read more
  3. Then, contact the institution offering your chosen degree program. 


2/ I have been accepted by my chosen institution. What should I do now?

Visit the French embassy in your country of residence and consult your country’s Campus France website.

Once you have been admitted in a program at Sorbonne University, you need to get in touch with the French Embassy / Consulate in your country to apply for a student visa.

Many students – especially from European countries – can benefit from a visa waiver to study in France.

3/ How much does it cost to study in France?

In France, every student is exempt from tuition fees for public institutions. The state takes on the cost of education. France makes no distinction between French and international students.

The annual registration fees for all public institutions have been set by the French Ministry of Higher Education. For the academic year 2015-2016, these are:

  • 184 euros for undergraduate students
  • 256 euros for masters students
  • 391 euros for doctoral students
  • 610 euros for students at engineering schools

Additional fees may be applied to these amounts for specific services.

The cost of enrolling at private institutions, notably business schools, is higher. INSEAD being a private institution, tuition and fees are regulated at the level on the institution. For more information about INSEAD tuitions fees, click here


4/ When should I start preparing to move to France to study?

At least a year in advance.

5/ Coming to Paris soon? 

The International Student Welcome Office (Service d’Accueil des Étudiants Étrangers, SAEE) is at your disposal at the Cité Internationale Universitaire in Paris and at the CROUS Paris.

This multi-service platform answers the question of all newly arrived international students in Paris concerning administrative procedures, residence permits, accomodations, jobs, French practice courses, hobbies, etc.
With its numerous partners, it can also help you handle the initial administrative procedures connected with a stay in France, providing you with the opportunity to adress a single organism for residency permit, visa, etc.

For further information, visit website

To learn more

Cost of living in Paris

To study in Paris is to benefit from one of the best university educations in the world, but what budget will you need to live there? In Paris, international students can make use of numerous discounts and benefits. Here are a few ways to estimate your expenses.

Read more

Finding accomodation in or near Paris

Finding accommodation in Paris and the surrounding areas is not simple...but it is not impossible! Here are the main ways to find accommodation in Paris and the areas surrounding the capital.

Read more


The French health protection system is one of the best in the world and international students can benefit from ‘student’ health insurance if they are under 28 years of age and are enrolled at an accredited higher education institution for at least 4 months.

Read more